Cats are mysterious creatures who keep a lot of wisdom to themselves. Here are 20 ameowzing facts about cats you probably didn’t know. Read, enjoy and share with your friends.
Facts about cats
1. Adult cats only use the ‘meow’ to communicate with humans
Haven’t you ever noticed that adult cats never meow to each other? Cats only meow to human beings. This is assumed to be a result of feline domestication. They communicate with each other using body language and other sounds.
2. In some countries, black cats are considered good luck
As opposed to the united states, in places like the UK, Japan and Australia a black cat is a good luck charm!
3. Cats have an extra eyelid
This eyelid is called ‘Haw’. It plays an important role in maintaining the health of their eye surface. You can only see it when a cat is blinking.
4. Cats have compass cells in their brains
‘Psi-traveling’ is the ability of a cat to find its way home. Experts think cats have magnet cells in their brains that help them navigate and virtually act as a compass.
5. Isaak Newton invented the cat door
While Newton was experimenting in a pitch-black room one of his cats kept opening the door and ruining his experiment. The cat door solved that problem.
6. One of the main ingredients of the world’s rarest coffee is cat poop
The Luwak, a wildcat from Indonesia, eats coffee berries that contain coffee beans. The coffee beans pass through the cat’s stomach. They are then harvested, cleaned, roasted and sold for $500 for a 450 g (1 lb) bag.
7. A group or a cluster of cats is a clowder
Yes, that is the dictionary word for it.
8. Female cats tend to be right pawed, while male cats are usually left pawed
Did you ever even think about your cat as right or left pawed? Well apparently it is a thing. Interestingly enough, most humans who are left handed are also males.
9. The oldest cat on record lived to be 38!
Most cats can live up to the age of 20, which is 96 in human years.
10. Cats are the most popular pet in the United States
the are approximately 74-96 million domestic cats as opposed to just 70-80 million dogs
11. Cats have 32 muscles that control the outer ear
Us humans have only 6. A cat can rotate its ear 180 degrees independently.
12. Cats to do not have the ability to taste sweets
Felines are carnivores and their diets should be comprised mainly of meat.
13. House cats can run faster than 30mph!
Similar to lions and cheetahs, cats have a burst of speed thanks to their native hunting abilities.
14. A cat uses it’s whiskers to detect if he can fit through a space
The whiskers grow as wide as the widest parts of a cat’s body. Which is normally their shoulder span. So they use them to estimate if they can fit through certain spaces.
15. Cats are asleep for 70% f their lives
Cats spend as much as 16 hours a day sleeping. More than any other mammal (with a few exceptions). Could you imagine sleeping that much? I feel like out of all of these facts about cats, this is the most shocking one.
16. Cats can detect earthquake tremors 10 minutes before humans
They are very sensitive to vibrations.
17. Cats can drink sea water instead of regular water to survive
A cat’s kidneys are very efficient and can filter out the salt.
18. Outdoor cats are knows to have driven 33 entire species to extinction
Feral cats are great hunters. Too great actually. They one of the top 100 most invasive animals.
19. Adult cats are lactose intolerant
Contrary to popular belief once cats reach adulthood they no longer need milk. It could actually make them really sick.
20. A cat’s brain is biologically similar to a human brain
Humans and cats have identical regions in their brains that are responsible for emotions.
How ’bout those facts about cats? If you loved this maybe you’d also be interested in 10 things to love about cats.