Newborn kittens (under 3 weeks old) can’t defecate on their own. If mamma cat is around, she’ll usually stimulate the kittens to pee and poop with her tongue after feeding. But if there is no mom cat around and you’re wondering how to make a kitten poop you’re in the right place.
How to make a kitten poop
You’ll need to act as a surrogate mother and recreate that experience to keep your kitten healthy. Don’t worry, you won’t have to use your tongue.
- Have some moist wash cloths ready to go.
- After you’ve finished bottle feeding the kitten hod him firmly with one hand (but be gentle!).
- Grab a moist wash cloth and start massaging the kitten’s anus in a circular motion.
- At this point the kitten should be pooping already. Continue until the kitten is done.
- Gently clean the kitten’s anus with a clean damp wash cloth (don’t use soap!)
Watch this video to see how it’s done:
Note that it’s also important to keep an eye on the kitten’s poop texture and color to make sure he’s doing ok. a healthy kitten’s poop at that age should be brown with a toothpaste like consistency. Anything else should require a trip to the vet.
Related article: Possible causes for kitten diarrhea